We decided to insulate over the cab. To keep it simple we decided to use Havelock Wool. There is not a lot of room for rigid foam, and we wanted to make sure whatever we used would not impair disassembly for future service.
We also needed to run some wires in there, one to the rearview mirror back camera and one for the rearview mirror hard-wired power.
There are three major components that make up this area of the van. 1) The main headliner (and optional sunglasses tray). This is what you touch if you put your hand straight up from the driver’s seat. 2) The package tray, which is the black plastic storage shelf that you can store stuff on. 3) Above the package tray is a second upper headliner.
We had watched one video where they insulated with the wool (which, of course, I could not find again), and I had seen a couple of forum posts that sounded like removing the upper headliner and package tray was all that was needed.
Removing the headliner and adding the wool
Getting the upper headliner out was pretty straight forward. Remove the plastic push-pins, roll out the right and left foam tray/block things, remove the upper headliner:
Next, we tried to remove the package tray. No luck at all. It would not budge.
Finally, I bit the bullet and removed the sunglasses tray and the main headliner. Once that was out, I could see that the package tray was indeed held in at the front with four screws:
Once those were loosened, then the package tray came out easily:
With the headliners and package tray removed, we could clearly see the side curtain airbags and actuators, so we thought we would show what those looked like, mainly because we could.
At this point, we added a couple of squares of KilMat in the side panels for good measure–the center panel has factory dampening material. Then we stuffed the wool as far as we could into the gap above the window. Then we used a couple of quick sprays of 3M 90 spray adhesive to keep the wool from falling down into our way.
On the right and left sides, there was extra wool, so we just kind of stuffed that into the openings. Also, you can see the backs of the marker lights — we indicated them in this photo for reference:
At that point, you can reinstall the plastic package tray, securing the front with the four screws mentioned above. Leave the back unattached for now.
We then used 3M 90 to attach some more wool to the top headliner. Oh, and do not forget to remove several sponge rubber blocks from the front edge of the upper headliner. These were originally used to keep the headliner form vibrating, but the wool does that job now, and they would keep the upper headliner from sliding under the wool. Be sure to leave the area at the rear where the upper headliner attaches to the frame clear of wool:
Putting it all back together
The upper headliner went in pretty easily. But I had a bear of a time getting the foam edge blocks in. I ended up kinking and propping up the middle of the package tray so its edges pulled in a bit, then I could use a lot more force than I was comfortable with to push the foam edge blocks in. You can then secure the rear edge of the package tray with the four plastic nuts. I think everything is a bit tighter with the wool in place. In the end, it all seems to fit well.
Reinstalling the main headliner and sunglasses tray was straight forward. My sunglasses tray was a bit loose where it attached in the middle, so I ended up adding another screw and backing nut and now it is nicely rigid.